Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Primary Music Idea - Keep the Commandments & The Commandments Song

September brings us the Primary Theme - I Obey Jesus Christ Because I Love Him.

During week one in Primary the Primary Children will have the chance to learn that they can show love for Jesus Christ by following the commandments.   A long time ago I made some old fashioned looking song tablets to teach the song THE COMMANDMENTS found on page 112 in the Children's Songbook.  After looking at the September outline it reminded me of them so I dug them out of a box.  They don't look wonderful, but the idea is still a good one.  I decided to recreate the tablets into KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS found on page 146 so that I could use them during singing time this upcoming month.  I love both of these songs...don't you?  I went to Michael's and picked up some silver/gray poster board, drew two parallel lines on each side, and used a large bowl to round the top of the tablet.  I printed the wording for each on clear translucent paper and glued them on with rubber cement.  The rubber cement gives them an old fashioned look when you see them in person.

It's always dangerous when my creative juices start flowing because while making the tablets for music time I got thinking that some of the Primary Children might not know what the TEN COMMANDMENTS are.  I went right to work and created a mini booklet for them that is called MY LITTLE REMINDER OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  On each page the Primary Children can read about each of the commandments.  At the end of the handout I listed both of these songs for them to practice at home with their families during Family Home Evening.  I even threw in a FHE idea just in case the Primary Children wanted to teach the lesson on Monday night. 

If you would like a copy of the wording I used for the tablets and the mini booklet for the children...please comment here or email me directly at jennifer.hawkins@hotmail.com.  Please don't forget your email address.

6 comments:

Shay said...

Love this! Can I get a copy! Thanks! shaydarl@hotmail.com

Your blog is so great!

cressfamily said...

Love this I was going to do about the same thing for sharing time but was having a hard time trying to figure out the hows. I would love a copy please.

cress7@cableone.com

arendje said...

Please send me a copy of this file - arendjewhidden@gmail.com

Terry said...

so cute!! could you send the file.
terryg3_2@msn.com
thanks
Terry

stephruns said...

Love it!!! can I please get a copy
boon.king5@gmail.com Thank you!

Char'sWEB said...

me again! would love to make this for september
Thanks
tolmrsb@gmail.com