Thursday, April 29, 2010

Primary Sharing Time Idea - The 4th Article of Faith Science Experiment

Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel Lead Me to Jesus Christ.

This idea comes from my sister, Merrilee, who is planning Sharing Time for the month of May.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see the children light up as they see the presentation she has planned.

For Sharing Time this month we will be working on the 4th Article of Faith. I thought I would take a scientific approach this month as we EXPERIMENT upon the words of the Article of Faith. The first Sunday, I am planning on introducing the Article of Faith using the empty jar. I used a purple ribbon to divide the Principles of the Gospel and an orange ribbon to divide the Ordinances. Our goal is to see if we can fill the jar over the course of the month to see if they really do lead us back to Christ. We will then fill the Faith section of the jar using the test tubes full of the yellow sand as we sing the Faith Song found in the Children's Songbook on page 96.


Each week we will review the Article of Faith and then fill the next section with a different color of sand as we teach the different principles and ordinances of the gospel.

I used different colors of sand to describe each topic.

Faith-yellow like the color of a mustard seed
Repentance-white, we are clean and pure when we repent
Baptism-blue like the water
Holy Ghost-red, being baptized by fire

Now, I'm not sure what all the kids will pick up on, but I'm super excited to teach Sharing Time this month. I will most likely use beakers and different scientific things each week as I teach, (my son had a science birthday party one year..oriental trading is where I purchased most of my supplies, but it was a few years ago) but if you want to use the idea, you could just use measuring or paper cups.
 
If you would like a copy of the clip art used on the beakers...please comment here or email me at jennifer.hawkins@hotmail.com.  Please leave me your email address so I can get the file to you quickly.  May the science EXPERIMENTS begin!

8 comments:

Kenney Crew said...

I forgot to mention that you will want to prepare 2 jars if you plan to do this for both junior and senior sharing times.

-Merrilee

Annalyn said...

I would actually love this clip art. I know the first sharing time in May is tomorrow (ahhh), but since we have 5 Sundays, we are going to just do an intro tomorrow and then start the 4th article of Faith next week...I'd love the clip art. Then, what are you going to do with the spirit world ones and others that are not specific to the A of F. Thanks so much!
Erin
ejj3977@hotmail.com

jctaufer said...

I am very interested in receiving the clipart as I am doing sharing time for May in my ward.

Thanks,
Julie
jctaufer@gmail.com

Timothy & Kimberly Pettitt said...

I LOVE this idea! Can you tell me what each clipart picture was used for in the article of faith?? Or even your lesson plan would be fabulous, if you still have it. Thanks!
kimberly_pettitt@yahoo.com

Amber said...

I know this is an old post, but I would love the clip art! My son is turning 8 in August and we are reviewing the purpose of baptism in detail each month...starting with the foundation! We are also hosting a less active family whose two young daughters would like to be baptized. The missionaries have been teaching her...and she's really bored. ha! This would be great!

Amber said...

I realize I should leave my email!
acmjand@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I love this example, can you please send Clip art?! and each color stand for?
Thank you so much God Bless!
my E-Mail:
ruzagirizaa1994@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I would like the clip art please, if still available. This is an awesome idea! Thank you. jabrown246@gmail.com