Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Music Idea - Families Can Be Together Forever





I was having a hard time coming up with something fun to do while teaching the song Families Can Be Together Forever to our Primary children who already pretty much know the song. I came up with the idea of doing something with the word CAN. So...I asked the kids to tell me the difference between the words WILL and CAN. After having the children take some time to share the definitions with me...I started pulling out DADDY CAN, MOMMY CAN, BROTHER CAN, SISTER CAN, and BABY CAN. Then, I asked the kids WHAT CAN THE FAMILY DO TOGETHER? Of course, the children called out lots of answers. Then, I pulled out the TEMPLE CAN and talked to them about working hard while they are young so they can be married in the temple. At the end I asked the children WILL they work hard so they CAN go to the temple someday. The room was filled with the answer YES!

Make sure to sing...Families Can Be Together Forever with an emphasis on the word CAN!

Another Idea...Stack all of the cans on top of each other and show the children that if you were to pull out one of the family members the cans would fall over. It takes the whole family working together to be an eternal family.

Clip Art - Nursery Manual 2009

1 comment:

Stacy B said...

What a terrific idea! My kids are grown (one married), but we still do family home evening as a large unit...I think this would still be good for any age! Thanks for the idea!