Thursday, July 1, 2010

Primary Music Idea - The Star-Spangled Banner

Oh, Say Can You See!

Happy soon to be 4th of July weekend!  Can you believe we are already to the 4th of July?  Where is summer going? 

I wanted to be prepared to do something based on the 4th of July this Sunday since it's not every year that this holiday lands on a Sunday.  I have been praying all week to know what I could do to tie in Patriotic Music with Music Time and I think I've received my answer.  I decided that I would use this Sunday to talk to the Primary Children about our National Anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner" found on page 340 in our Hymn Book.  I found some FUN FACTS and thought I would talk to the children about the importance of standing and singing whenever we hear our National Anthem played.  I'm also going to talk to them about placing our hand over our heart and why we do that.  After sharing more about the origin of the song I thought we could sing it and then play some of the Patriotic Songs found in the Children's Songbook.  My favorite is the song called My Flag, My Flag on page 225.  I'm thinking it would be fun to give each child a flag to hold and march around the Primary Room while the music is played either by our Primary Pianist or via CD. 

If you would like a copy of the FUN FACTS please comment here or email me at jennifer.hawkins@hotmail.com.  Don't forget your email address!

Have a fantastic FIREWORK weekend!
Jennifer

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I would love a copy of the fun facts! h_minkus@comcast.net Thanks!!