Saturday, January 16, 2010
Primary Music Maestros
I've had several of you ask me how I teach the Primary Children to lead the music. I have found a really fun way that I would like to share with all of you.
1. Purchase a bag of straws. I like the ones that have the bend on the end.
2. Give each child a straw.
3. Have the children stand and place the hand that is holding the straw in front of them and the other hand behind their back.
4. Tell the children that they have now turned into Maestros. Maestros lead the music!
5. Have the children pretend to tap their straw on the pretend music stand. This is a lot more fun when they make the tapping noise. TAP, TAP, TAP, TAP...Hands up!
6. Proceed to teach them how to lead 2/2 time, 3/4 time, and 4/4 time.
For 2/2 time I instruct them to go DOWN -UP
With 3/4 time I tell the children that they are going to make the shape of a triangle. DOWN - AWAY FROM THE BODY - UP
4/4 time is the trickiest! We go DOWN - ACROSS THE TUMMY - AWAY FROM THE BODY - UP
Once the children have learned these simple motions...have them count them out with you.
To really have fun...add music and have them march at the same time.